Co-Chair Jonathan Dayton Potomac & Baltimore Pike Fire Companies
Co-Chair Austin Christner Ellerslie Volunteer Fire Company
”The mission of the AGCVFRA Recruitment and Retention Committee is to connect interested individuals to the right community fire department and provide them with answers they may have to the volunteer firefighting and EMS system.”
Ever wonder what it was like to be a volunteer?
Check Out the Videos Below!
Recruitment & Retention Toolbox
Information provided by MSFA & MarylandVolunteer.org
- MSFA Recruitment & Retention Guidelines Manual (PDF)
- What Makes a Good Responder (PDF)
- USFA & NVFC: New Tools for the Vol. Firefighter (PDF)
- Interview Packet (PDF)
- Interview Questions: Legal or Illegal? (PDF)
- 13 Sample Illegal & Legal Interview Questions (PDF)
- USFA: Recruitment & Retention for Vol. Emergency Services (PDF)
- Example Vol. Membership Application Form (Fillable PDF) – courtesy Montgomery County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association
- Example Vol. Membership Application Form (Print & Write-In PDF) – courtesy Montgomery County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association
- NVFC: VolunteerFD.org Recruitment Topics
- NVFC Fire Corps: Toll-Free 1-800-FIRE-LINE (website) – information hotline for information about both emergency and non-emergency volunteer opportunities in their community
Retain by sustaining. It is very important to take the steps to sustain your membership. Show pride in your members and their accomplishments. Planning should involve all of your officers. This will show the members of your company your leadership and the accomplishments they are to have in making this plan a success.
- MSFA Cadet Firefighter Program Guidelines (PDF)
- Example Cadet Program Standard Operating Procedure (PDF) – courtesy of Volunteer Fire Company #1 of Chesapeake City, Inc.
- Example Junior Firefighter Program Trifold Brochure (PDF) – courtesy Elkridge Volunteer Fire Department
- Example Cadet Program Trifold Brochure (PDF) – courtesy of Volunteer Fire Company #1 of Chesapeake City, Inc.
- VFIS: Managing Vol. & Combination Emergency Service Organizations (PDF)
- VFIS: Leadership 101 (PDF)
- NVFC: National Fire Service Member Assistance Program (PDF)
- Example LODD Guidelines (PDF) – courtesy of Howard County Department of Fire & Rescue Services
- NVFC: Funeral Procedures for Firefighters (PDF)
- MSFA LODD Procedures Guide (PDF)
- Effective Communication (PPTX)
- USFA: Voice Radio Communications Guide for the Fire Service (PDF)
- Firehouse.com: The Importance of Interpersonal Communication Skills in Your Fire Department
- FireRecruit.com: 15 Barriers to Effective Leadership in the Fire Service